Monday, July 9, 2012

Project Living Room: Ikea Shoe Cabinet Makeover

Oh hey, remember my living room makeover project that I seem to never get to??  Me too :P  Well, we got 1 element under way this past weekend.

If you look closely you can see the sparkles in my eyes, because I am over-the-moon happy with how my latest furniture upgrade has turned out.  I am no stranger to painting things, or altering them ever so slightly, but if I am being truthful they almost always end up a little different than I had pictured in my head.  That's what makes this project so exciting:  it's just as I imagined!!  Maybe even better!

We started with a regular Ikea Hemnes Shoe Cabinet in white:
We already have one (just white as-is) in our laundry room (by garage entry door), and I really love it.  It has to be the most visually appealing way to store shoes by a door that I've ever seen.  Plus the top skinny drawer is great for keys, phone, etc.  

This 4-person household, however, has enough shoes to fill 2 and even though I dream of primarily using my garage entrance, we come in the front door a lot too :)  So, enter cabinet #2.

You might recall, however, that my living room will soon be white walled, so I couldn't leave it white, I was left with no choice but to paint it pink with chevrons . . . .My honey, on the other hand, was not so thrilled with the idea of painting a brand-new almost $150 piece of furniture pink . . . but he helped me anyway (he's great that way) and actually loved it when it was all said and done :)

And here she is in all her glory:





We used white Rust-oleom primer and Rust-oleum gloss in "Candy Pink" to paint all pieces before we--or he, rather--assembled the cabinet.  The white chevron is merely the original color of the cabinet, taped off and left unpainted using FrogTape Painters tape (which worked great, by the way, nice clean lines!).

We finished her off with 6 awesome "mecury glass" looking cabinet knobs from Hobby Lobby ($1.99 each after 50% off sale!).

I won't say it was easy peasy and if you look close you'll see some areas that are not glossy (not sure what the problem is there!) but I'm just so wonderfully pleased with the outcome, it's totally given me the extra umphhhh I needed to get on with the living room makeover!

I'm linking up with Skip To My Lou

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...